Welcome to Acorn class
Just as the acorn contains the mighty oak tree, the Self has everything it needs to fulfill its destiny. When the inner conditions are right, it naturally emerges. Remember, the creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn.
Your children are primarily taught by Mrs Mitchell.
Mrs Williams and Mrs Chippendale are the Teaching Assistants that will work alongside Mrs. Mitchell. Mrs Williams will teach the class RE and Music on a Tuesday afternoon.
Our topic this term is Marvellous Me! We will be learning about ourselves and our families and making sure that we all know how special and unique we are!
- We will be focusing on phonics, revising what they have already know and learning new sounds to help us with our reading and writing.
- In English, the children will learn about labels, captions and lists, study stories by the same author and explore stories with repeating patterns. We will learn to recognise and write recounts and will enjoy some family themed poetry.
- Reading in Year 1 will be slightly different to that in EYFS. The children will be heard reading during their Guided Reading sessions rather than 1:1 reading sessions.
- In Science we will be exploring Animals Including Humans and studying seasonal changes.
- The children will be learning about where we live and the world around us in Geography and we will found out about Remembrance Day and Christmas in the past.
- Our Friday PE lessons will allow the children to explore dance and basic ball skills as well as how to keep safe and healthy.
- The children will be studying wheels and axles in DT, creating self portraits in the style of Amadeo Modigliani in Art and concentrate on expressive arts and communication and language in Computing.
- We will celebrate Harvest and Christmas in RE, learning about the significance of both occasions and what they mean to us.
- Finally, in music, the children will be learning a song which incorporates rap called "Ho,ho,ho " and also learning songs and instrumental parts for our nativity in church.
This promises to be a busy, but very exciting and happy term at school!